Monday, February 11, 2013

mOnDaY mixTape, wiNteR loVe, and the rOot of aLL eViL

MiX tApE MOnDaY

1.      "Precious" Depeche Mode
2.      "Blandest" Nirvana
3.      "I Nearly Lost You" Screaming Trees
4.      "Savory" Deftones
5.      "Pumpkin Patch Murders" Blitzkid
6.      "London Dungeon" The Misfits
7.      "Last" Nine Inch Nails

POST SNOWSTORM FILM LOVE:

There is still a good 10” of beautiful thick snow here in NYC. In honor of le neige and all things Scandinavian after my own heart, I put together this awesome list of films to watch whilst enjoying the winter weather!
10. 30 DAYS OF NIGHT
9. RAVENOUS
8. TROLL HUNTER
7. NOI THE ALBINO (thanks, Bill)
6. MISERY
5. FARGO
4. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (ONLY THE SWEDISH VERSION!)
3. RARE EXPORTS
2. THE THING
1. FARGO





FAVORITE QUOTES ABOUT  THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL:

I remember my 4th grade teacher, Sister Helen at Our Lady Prison
House, had two sayings on repeat.

Saying Number 1: "Sweet spirits of Camphor!" She always said this when
something seemed to be going wrong and to this day, I have no clue
what she was referring to. I could Google it, I know, but I think I
prefer still being baffled by it.

Saying Number 2: "Money is the root of all evil!" Sister Helen was the
sweetest lady, a Franciscan nun who could teach the history of the
Algonquians and Iroquois like it was nobody's business. Sister Helen
used to treat all of fourth graders like we were purely magical
creatures that would exist only for a moment. Some of us would grow up
to be world losers and world forsakers, some of us would be poets,
others paupers - but to her it didn't matter. Because she just loved
and adored us for what we were in that moment - impressionable little
fledglings she could unleash upon society.

Her second saying has always been something that stuck with me. I
guess I am so poor because I have never been the savings account time
(much to my grandmother's dismay) and I always would prefer to spend
my paychecks on friends and good times.

e.e. Cummings once wrote, "I'm living so far beyond my means that we
may almost be said to be living apart." That rings true for me -
especially as a New Yorker where you've spent $20 once you've walked
out your door and aren't even sure of where it went.

So in honor of Sister Helen, e.e. Cummings and my dedication to living
the life of a pauper, here are some of my favorite quotes about money.

"There's plenty of money out there. They print more every day. But
this ticket, there's only five of them in the whole world, and that's
all there's ever going to be. Only a dummy would give this up for
something as common as money. Are you a dummy? "
-       Grandpa George, Charlie and the Choclate Factory

“So that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money. There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.”
-          Marge Gunderson, Fargo

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
-- Oscar Wilde
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people
he gave it to."
-- Dorothy Parker

God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves
with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes,
working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the
middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great
War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great
Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to
believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and
rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And
we're very, very pissed off."
-       Tyler Durden, Fight Club

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for, once again, giving me something to read to take my mind off my own writing. Where did you go to school? I'm a product of Catholic school, myself. Would love to trade stories. Thanks, again! chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I went to Our Lady of Fatima and Our Lady of Perpetual Help (aka Old Lady Prison House) in Pennsylvania.

    2. And I knew you worked on Fight Club. HUGE HUGE FAN!!!!! My favorite part is the penguin, "Slide..."

    3. We miss you and need you over here on POI. We need to relocate the show to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what have you been writing? I want to see!

    ReplyDelete