Sunday, February 3, 2013

Rough draft Rocky story

-->
I was having a cigarette on the stoop when Rocky and I met.
            “Hey you,” I said. “I heard about you when I first moved here. I didn’t think you were still around.”
            “Yeah, I’m around,” he said, raising his head from the trashcan.
            “You want to go get a drink or come inside for a cup of coffee?”
            “I’ll take a coffee,” he said, thick rings of black around his eyes. “I could use it. It’s cold, thank you.”
            We went up the stairs. He remarked that the hallway was nice and warm, to his liking. I mumbled something about the old man on the second floor and his low blood pressure and overall laziness.
            I hung my coat behind the door and Rocky had a seat on the sofa.
            “Cream and sugar?” I shouted from the kitchen.
            “Just black, please.”
            I saw Rocky’s reflection in my mirror, scanning the room.
            “I always see you coming home late. Do you work real late?” He laced his thumbs together.
            “Yeah, I uh…work pretty crazy hours.” I wrapped myself in my black cardigan and sipped my coffee.
            “I thought so.”
            “I didn’t even realize you were around. The old ladies, the ones who are at the diner all of the time, they used to talk about you constantly. They thought you had rabies.”
            “Rabies?! Oh Heavens no!”
            “Sorry…I didn’t mean to offend…you….”
            “Not at all, not at all. I’m a raccoon, it’s to be expected.”
            It was true. Raccoons. Rabies. Seemed to go hand in hand.
            Rocky sat balanced upon his tail. He teetered left to right as his small paws clasped the Neil Young coffee mug.
            “Sometimes I see you through the kitchen window,” he said.
            “Oh really? Doing what?” I asked.
            “I see you looking at your phone a lot. The bright blue light goes off and you look at it and look away and look at it and look away. Then you finally answer it and you nod your head. Then you hang up and sometimes you cry. Actually, you cry a lot.”
            “I do?” I asked incredulously, my legs tucked underneath me and my shoulders leaned forward with utmost curiosity.
            “Oh yes. Most people eat in their kitchens but you are always crying.”
            I felt embarrassed.
            “I guess you don’t have one of those do you?”
            “A phone?”
            “Yeah?”
            “No. Raccoons have no need for such things.”
            “How do your friends know where you are?”
            “I don’t really have that many to be honest.” The whites of his little black eyes sparkled in the din of my living room. He was black and gray against a bright blue bookshelf.

            “I often wonder why you have so many…” His voice trailed off as he made a small note of the fox painting on my wall.
            “Friends?” I asked, putting down my mug. “Oh, I don’t really know.”
            “Who is that pretty girl?” He looked toward a picture frame.
            “Oh…she was my best friend. She died a long time ago.”
            “So sorry. So terribly sad. So terribly sad….”
            “Yeah. I wish she were here. To see all this stuff. She wasn’t like all the other friends.”
            “The ones who make you cry?”
            “Well, I didn’t say that.”
            “I heard sometimes you break their hearts, sometimes they break yours.”
            “Who told you that?”
            “The old ladies from the diner.”
            “No kidding.” He was pretty resourceful for a raccoon.
            “Sometimes I see in your window at night, to your bedroom and you are looking up at the stars you shine on your ceiling. I wonder, what is that girl thinking?”
            “Oh…all sorts of things. Sometimes I just wish I knew what everyone else was thinking.”
            “Like I wonder about you?”
            “Sure,” I smiled.
            “You’re so different from all the other ladies in the neighborhood,” he said.
            I wasn’t sure how he meant.
            “They all have babies and go to the grocery store a lot more than you do.”
            “Oh that…well.”
            “Do you ever get lonely?”
            “NO! Do you?”
            “I’m a raccoon. I’m a solitary creature.”
            “Right…”
            “I’m surprised you have so many Jimmy Stewart movies.”
            I asked him why.
            “Because you are always wearing black. Why would someone who wears so much black like Jimmy Stewart so much?”
            “Why would a raccoon know who Jimmy Stewart is?” I retorted.
            “Touché!” He raised his paw and spread his tiny mouth into a smile.
            “Are there many of your…species…here in New York?”
            “I just know of Ralph.”
            “Oh yeah – what’s he like?”
            “Ralph…he just wants to be an actor. He’s always running onto movie sets and getting chased by deranged production assistants.”
            “You know deranged production assistants?”
            “I didn’t say I did, personally. Ralph does, though. That’s what he says. His big thing is he wants to be in movies like the raccoon from that John Candy movie.”
            The Great Outdoors?”
            “That’s the one!”
            The fact that I just used “species” in a sentence disturbed me and it finally occurred to me just who I was dealing with.
            “Well, it’s getting late.”
            “I’m sure you have lots of work to do.”
            “Always,” I replied, spinning a finger in my lukewarm coffee.
            “You really shouldn’t let it get to you, your work like that.”
            “Easy for you to say. You’re a raccoon.”
            “Yeah but everyone hates me.”
            “Hates you? I wouldn’t go that far.”
            “Well I would,” he turned his thumb to himself. “They are always trying to poison me like those grotesque rats. And someone is always calling Animal Control on me. They should wrangle that racist neighbor of yours, not poor old me! Hmpf!”
            “Agreed,” I said.
            “Did you ever have any imaginary friends?”
            Of course, I nodded.
            “When was your last?”
            “Oh…in college. I used to think I had a little demon friend who convinced me to do bad things. But I guess they weren’t that bad. But when I was little I had a white Husky called Snowflake and he helped me to do my math homework.”
            “That’s nice,” he mused, his petite paws patting his stomach.
            “Well, thank you ever so much for the coffee. I best be going. I may just head down to the East River to catch myself a nice fresh fish.”
            “Fish, huh? Sounds good.”
            “You have no idea,” he smiled and walked on all fours towards the door.
            “See you around?”
            “See you around.” I was beaming.
            “I’ll let myself out,” he said.
            And with that, he and his bushy black tail were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment