Saturday, February 16, 2013

NEGOTIATING with God – How to Survive the Lenten Season Sinfully Unscathed



Since last Tuesday, my coworker and friend Jackie has been suffering from the Lenten blues. I felt horrible on Friday when my other coworker, Koti, made her famous taco dip with beef and Jackie couldn’t have any because you can’t be Catholic and have meat on Fridays during the Lenten season. I immediately reminded Jackie that it was already Saturday in Australia and since this was true, she could have meat and just consider herself on Australia time.

I stopped observing Lent years ago when I put my dog Sammie to sleep. I decided if God took away the one thing that made me happy, that was my biggest sacrifice and I didn’t need to practice Lent anymore.

So I have devised a few hot tips for negotiating with J.C. and Big Daddy this Lent season.

1.    WATCH THE PASSION OF THE CHIRST
If you watch this film, your sins are pre-emptively forgiven for the next five years. Says who? Says I – who specialized in Reformation studies in college which is just as good an authority as any…

2.    EXERCISE EVERY DAY DURING LENT
Jesus suffered on the cross and suffering through a workout sucks pretty badly. So if you can do this, it’s pretty much in accordance with the idea that we are identifying with the suffering of Christ.

3.    REMEMBER IT’S SATURDAY IN AUSTRALIA/FIJI/JAPAN
If you want to have pepperoni on your pizza or a taco for lunch, remember that it’s Saturday somewhere and that God is all encompassing and all understanding. He can understand you need to eat meat or you’ll fall over and look pale like a vegan.

4.    DON’T FEEL GUILTY ABOUT GETTING DRUNK.    
Because if God didn’t want you to be drunk, he wouldn’t have invented alcohol. Want proof He invented it? They SERVE it in most churches. So there.


5.    WATCH CHURCH ON THE CHURCH CHANNEL.
My grandfather taught me this one. As long as you are watching a mass it pretty much counts.

6.    HAVE UNLEAVENED BREAD AS A SNACK EVERY DAY.
And say a prayer before you eat it. It’s like the body of Christ each day!

So this Lenten season, instead of stressing over what you can and cannot do, just take my advice and make a bargain with God!

No comments:

Post a Comment