Thursday, January 10, 2013

BIG KID NOW




So when I initially started my blogging career, I was 21. (Yikes, I know.) And if you had told me in 2003 that I would totally be okay with being 30, I probably would have laughed at you.

The truth is I freaking DREADED this birthday coming up. My 29th year of life SUCKED because I endlessly obsessed about how many hours, days, weeks it was until I would have to give up my 20-hoodedness.

Could I still shop at Forever 21?
Would I suddenly want to have kids and get married?
Would I realize how much my life really sucks?!

Well, no. None of this came to pass. When I turned 30 I had the two biggest parties of my life, in MY honor, surrounded by people I love and adore beyond words.  Looking around at everyone, I thought, “Man, I have met some awesome people along the way.”
And my 30th year of life did not disappoint. In April, I accidentally bumped into Eric Erlandson of HOLE - the band I emulated in my high school cover band, Velvet. This lead me to seeing Courtney Love perform with them LIVE FRONT ROW. Then in May, my childhood friend Janelle and I ventured to the Pacific Northwest to visit Aberdeen, Wa., where my beloved Kurt Cobain grew up.  I had a short story published on www.tripcity.com in June. t’s all a blur pretty much after that.

I went to Dollywood.

I work with a lot of people who are in their early 20’s. And they tell me how scared they are of becoming 30 but I tell them it’s not that bad.

So next time I talk to you and I’m being a contradictory Pisces, remind me of this blog post and remind me of the shit I did in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment