Monday, January 21, 2013

Ma vie...tout ma vie...and ADHD

When I was in second grade, they tested me for admission to the "Gifted Program" for "Academically Talented" students. I was in Catholic school and relentlessly bored.

But I was also eight years old and acted like a Mexican jumping bean (as my father used to call me.)

I always fidgeted in my seat, kicking my Mary Janes wildly to and fro. I had to fight the urge to whistle "Yankee Doodle Dandee" and fling my pencil across the room.

When I was given the test find out if I was a genius, they found out I was definitely smart, but entirely too hyper active to focus on anything worth a damn.

Today I know they give kids tons of meds for that kind of thing. I never indulged - I just tap danced the shit out of my hardwood floors and stuff like that.

As I get older, that wild and reckless wandering mind is still alive and well. I don't think there's any true classification for these things but I do find it makes for curious writing/learning.

When I was reading an article about a Norwegian film au jour d'hui (sp?) called Reprise, the director made mention of the novel length prose poem By Grand Central Station I Wept. Which brought my mind to Amazon to buy both the Oslo made film aaaand a copy of Elizabeth Smart's work which Morrissey is said to have very much treasured. (Not that I care what he thinks anyway....)

And I also have taken to the belief that anything associated with Norway that happens to appear in my day to day life is a clear omen from the god Odin that I am destined to go there soon...very very soon....


No comments:

Post a Comment