Sunday, January 27, 2013

Winter 2013

Just wanted to include reviews of what I'm reading/listening to/watching this winter. It's been the best winter in years with Scandinavian like temperatures so I am thrilled beyond belief...

EDITORIAL NOTE: I cannot take credit for the 90% of the coolness in this post My younger sister, Ginger, still gives me good music to listen to. If it was not for her, I would still be listening to In Utero on repeat on a WALKMAN.  Thanks, Ginger, for re-introducing me to musik. 


SONG OF WINTER 2012: The Sword's "Winter's Wolves"
If you like Black Sabbath and/or the LOTR series, you'll love this band which hails from Austin, Texas. There is a lyric in this song that says "May the winter's wolves surround you /
And rip the life from your throats." The Viking goth sensibility says "YES, YES, YES!" to this.


BAND OF WINTER 2012: Alcest
I totally believe in meditation. I totally cannot do it. What works for me is imagining I am anywhere but here. If I could back in time to any period, I'd probably go to medieval France. Alcest teleports me there with their album "Autre Temps." This is my favorite song from the album.
BEST LOVE SONG OF WINTER 2012: Danzig "Blood and Tears"
Because I am soooooo dark! And because I can't shake the awesomeness of last summer's Danzig Legacy tour. If anyone says Danzig is a dick, I will smack you.
BEST FILM I'VE SEEN ALL WINTER: Joachim Trier's "Reprise"
I think it's pretty obvious I'm a huge Norwegian kick this year. So when I came across this on Netflix I was thrilled beyond belief. I think Norwegian culture, harkening back to the tradition of edda and saga and the written word, is a literary one and that this film is a commentary on that. It's about two young writers and the question of what it means to make one's life about one's art. I also loved Trier's more recent film "Oslo 31." On a side note, the lead actor in both reminds me of this guy I  once had a crush on for five years.

BOOK THAT KEEPS ME WARM AT NIGHT: The Lesson of the Master by Henry James
Admittedly, I am still trying to find time between working, writing and working some more to read this but basically it's about a young writer who befriends an older writer. It is the blueprint for the film I mentioned above and it comments about the sacrifices one has to make in life to pursue one's art. I can relate....

ORNAMENT OF WINTER 2012: Ovate Norwegian black metal inspired clothing
I couldn't get through the cold snap or walk the mean streets of Bushwick without this amazing Valhalla cloak from Canadian designer Ovate.
Ovate Valhalla Hoodie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for writing, V. You are reminding me that once I come down from Gawker/Twitter/Facebook, et al, I NEED to keep really writing. As I will do, once again, tomorrow. In the loneliest of endeavors, it's nice to know I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete