Tuesday, January 15, 2013

International Phenomonon: GIZMO

-->
I remember in the second grade I had this awesome blonde teacher named Miss Flynn. Miss Flynn asked us to write a paragraph about our favorite fictional character.

I hadn’t stumbled upon The Hobbit yet and I wasn’t crazy about any Disney stuff (except for the little seahorses in The Little Mermaid.)

But I do remember choosing to write about Gizmo from my favorite Christmas flick, Gremlins, at the time (pre-Nightmare Before Christmas).

Today, Gizmo remains my favorite hero of all time. In second grade I chalked it up to him being fluffy and cute and pretty much perfect (well, aside from that whole producing nasty gremlins when fed after midnight and soaked with water bit.)

But sometime last year, my BFF made it perfectly clear to me why Gizzy was my hero –

Because Gizmo is loyal but also lethal. (Remember his Rambo scene?)

Because Gizmo is adorable beyond any explanation.

Because if Gizmo were a government official, he’d probably have the Israeli-Palestinian conflict resolved by now.

Because in a world of slimy, nasty, evil gremlins, Gizmo remains cuddly and kind.

The last part is the main thing that does it for me – because even though Gizmo is surrounded by monsters, his genuine good nature remains in tact.

J’adore Gizmo…


No comments:

Post a Comment